Sunday, February 13, 2011

Oops, I forgot to add a title...

I haven't posted for a few days but sadly that doesn't mean that I have a whole lot more to post today. This weekend wasn't really that exciting. Friday we had our first Italian test. I spent the morning studying and cleaning up my room. That night Sonia cooked dinner for us and I went out afterward with Jake and Sejan. I finally got to see the Colosseum, so that was something pretty exciting. 

Yesterday, I don't even know I how spent the day. Pretty low key and lazy. I made hard boiled eggs. Kim's twin sister who studies in Florence came down for the weekend with a friend. Last night I was planning on going with them after dinner to a bar called Trinity College (because they both go to Trinity in TX). They went out to dinner and I was just going to cook myself some pesto but when I get in the kitchen, Sonia and some friends were all busy cooking a big meal. I figured I could wait and cook later but when I went back out an hour later there were 7 of them. I ended up eating dinner with them which was fun but a little awkward. It wasn't the language so much as I felt like I was intruding on a big group of friends. However, the language was difficult. I learned a new phrase: Schiarisci bene le parole. It means (if I remembered the right verb) please speak more clearly. It's the same verb for "to clear your throat." Even still, it was hard to understand all of it. It was a combination of inside jokes, Roman dialect, bad words, and speed.

After dinner I went and met up with Kim, Chiara, Andrea, Jake, Sejan, and Olivia. We went to Trinity but there was a private party. Then we went to Scholars, another Irish pub near Piazza Venezia but it was so crowded. Last night was the Rome - Napoli match and so we knew that there was no way to get a table until after that finished. We decided to head to Little America, also known as Trastevere. I hadn't been there on a weekend night and it was crazy. It looked like Florence in the summer. People were walking around eating gelato, the bars were packed, people were sitting, drinking, jammin' out to hippie music on the fountain steps. There were a ton of street performers and vendors selling those spinny light things that you throw up into the sky. Will came and met us too. He had spent the day in Napoli and said it was disgusting and that nobody should have to go for more than 3 hours. I hope he's wrong because I have always really wanted to go. 

1 comment:

  1. Regarding the scene in "Little America," how do you say, "I'm about to start breaking fingers" in Italian?

    ReplyDelete